Morning Coffee - A Caffeinated News Update
June 18, 2012
June 18 Budget Oversight Committee Meeting (Today) - The Long Beach Budget Oversight Committee meets at 4 p.m. at City Hall to discuss: an update on the city’s FY12 budget process; a report on current year revenue and expense forecast; the General Fund three-year deficit; the federal FY13 budget; the state’s FY12-13 budget, including the governor’s May Revision; the $18.4 million Uplands Oil Fund infrastructure projects; the towing request for proposal; and more. For more information, visit http://www.longbeach.gov.
June 19 City Council Meeting - The Long Beach City Council meets at 5 p.m. at City Hall to discuss: the feasibility of waiving the business license tax and/or the 16% surcharge folded into business licenses for independent contractors for at least fiscal year 2013; eliminating individual business license fees for real estate agents and replacing them with a reduced “per employee” fee to the broker; a request to the board of harbor commissioners to approve the FY12 estimated transfer of $16.8 million from the Harbor Revenue Fund to the Tidelands Operating Fund; the results of the June 5 election; and more. Prior to its regular meeting, the council meets at 3:30 p.m. for a special meeting on the budget. For more information, visit http://www.longbeach.gov/council.
June 21 Los Angeles Harbor Commission Public Hearing - The Los Angeles Board of Harbor Commissioners holds a public hearing at 8:30 a.m. at the Port of Los Angeles Board Room, 425 S. Palos Verdes St. in San Pedro, to receive public comments on the proposed Berths 302-306 APL Container Terminal Project. Any person unable to attend the public hearing may submit written comments to the director of planning and economic development, P.O. Box 151, San Pedro, CA 90731. Written comments should be submitted no later than June 20. For more information, visit http://www.portoflosangeles.org.
June 21 Board Of Water Commissioners Meeting - The Long Beach Board of Water Commissioners meets from 9-10 a.m. at the water department administration building boardroom, 1800 E. Wardlow Rd., to discuss: recommended conferences for fiscal year 2012-2013; a $475,500 contract for the Cathodic Protection Improvement of Water and Recycled Water Systems project; authorizing the general manager to sign an in-lieu contract with the Water Replenishment District of Southern California; and more. For more information, call Sandy Fox at 562/570-2302 or visit http://lbwater.org/meeting-times-location-agendas.
June 21 Airport Advisory Commission Meeting - The Long Beach Airport Advisory Commission meets at 4 p.m. at Skylinks Municipal Golf Course, 4800 E. Wardlow Rd., to discuss: excusing members who are absent, approving meeting minutes from May 17 and receiving staff reports on finance and administration, planning and development, operations and facilities, and environmental and government affairs. For more information, visit http://www.lgb.org/about/advisory_commission.asp.
June 21 Planning Commission Meeting - The Long Beach Planning Commission meets at 5 p.m. at City Hall to discuss a conditional use permit for operating a drive-thru, fast food restaurant at 3821 Lakewood Blvd. in the 5th Council District. For more information, visit http://www.lbds.info/planning/.
June 27 Small Business Training Forum - The Port of Long Beach hosts “Contracting for Success,” a forum on training and networking from 3-6 p.m. at the port administration building, 925 Harbor Plaza. The event offers information on how to work with the port and its small business programs. RSVP at http://www.polb.com/sbe.
Business Meetings And Other Events:
• June 19: FuturePorts hosts its annual conference to discuss important topics facing Southern California's goods movement industry, 7:15 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., DoubleTree by Hilton's Madeo Ballroom, 2800 Via Cabrillo Marina in San Pedro. Cost is $99 for FuturePorts members, $140 for non-members and $85 for government and nonprofit individuals. Register at http://www.futureports.org.
• June 20: Ethnobotanist Mark Plotkin discusses rainforest conservation and his search for new jungle medicines at the Aquarium of the Pacific. 7 p.m. 562/590-3100.
• June 20: “Coffee with the Commander” is set from 5:30-6:30 p.m. at Portfolio Coffee House, 2300 E. 4th St. The East Division commander discusses neighborhood crime issues and answer questions. Open to public. 562/570-5882.
• June 20: Councilwoman Gerrie Schipske holds a meeting to discuss “Traffic Issues and Infrastructure in the 5th District,” 6:30-8 p.m., El Dorado Park Community Center, 2800 N. Studebaker Rd. 562/570-6932.
• June 21: The Long Beach Area Chamber of Commerce holds its 121st Inaugural Gala at the Long Beach Convention Center, honoring Destination Tomorrow recipient Toyota Motor Manufacturing. 5:45 p.m. reception; 6:45 p.m. dinner. 562/432-7830.
• June 26: East Anaheim Street Business Alliance meets at noon at the Long Beach Playhouse, 5021 E. Anaheim St., with guest speaker Mayor Bob Foster. Visit http://www.easba.com.
• June 27: North Long Beach Business Alliance meets at Houghton Park, 6301 Myrtle Ave., from 8:30-10:30 a.m. For more information, call 562/570-3315.
• June 27: A panel discussion about how Foreign Trade Zones can benefit your business, Aquarium of the Pacific, 100 Aquarium Way. Arrive at 9 a.m. for a tour of the Aquarium; registration at 9:30 a.m.; program 10-Noon; luncheon and boat tour to follow. $75. Register at: http://www.ftasc.org. $8 for parking.
• June 28: 3rd District Councilmember Gary DeLong’s monthly luncheon for district residents is at the Long Beach Yacht Club, beginning at 11:45 a.m. RSVP 562/570-6300.
• July 4: A 4th of July Freedom Fest is presented at 5 p.m. (food trucks available) at Rosie the Riveter Park (Clark Avenue and Conant Street) to salute hometown heroes. Music by The Emperors at 6:30 p.m. Presented by Councilmember Gerrie Schipske and the Long Beach Hometown Heroes Project. 562/570-6932.
• July 7: The Pacific Battleship Center is now selling tickets for the July 7 opening of the USS Iowa as an interactive naval museum and living memorial. Beginning July 7, the ship will be open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Berth 87 along the Port of Los Angeles Main Channel. Purchase tickets at http://www.pacificbattleship.com.
The Business Journal's latest "Biz Quiz" is available to download online. Winners from the last quiz have also been posted on our Web site. Visit http://www.lbbusinessjournal.com/biz-quiz.html to download the quiz or to see if you're a winner!
Want Morning Coffee to be delivered directly to your inbox?
The Latest News
- UPDATED: $85 Million Increase To Middle Harbor Budget Approved
- Covered California To Provide Online Enrollment For Small Group Health Insurance
- Markets Remain On Slow Growth Trajectory As Pockets Of The Economy Gain Strength
- New Ordinance To Lay Groundwork For Adaptive Reuse Projects In Long Beach
- Port Of Long Beach’s Engineering Bureau Examined By Consulting Firm, May Be Restructured
- Banks Reposition Brick-And-Mortar Retail Strategy As Mobile, Online Usage Increases
- Labor Ordinances To Be Drafted For Airport And Convention Center
Search Our Archives
|Monday Morning Coffee - 8/12/13|
Morning Coffee - A Caffeinated News Update
Check Back Soon For New Updates