Morning Coffee - A Caffeinated News Update
July 02, 2012
July 2 Long Beach RDA Oversight Board Meeting - The Long Beach Oversight Board of the Successor Agency to the Redevelopment Agency meets at 10 a.m. at City Hall to discuss: a requirement that all media inquiries received by individual board members be directed to the chair of the board; the execution of “documents necessary for the conveyance of certain properties from the City of Long Beach to The Long Beach Housing Development Company for housing purposes;” and to approve a $1 million-plus contract for streetscape improvements on Long Beach Boulevard north of Del Amo. For more information, visit http://lbds.info.
July 2 Long Beach Harbor Commission Meeting - The Long Beach Board of Harbor Commissioners meets at 1 p.m. at the port administration building to discuss: work by the Griffith Company on intersection improvements at Anaheim Street and Santa Fe Avenue; an amendment to a contract with Jacobs Engineering, Inc. for $800,000 for a two-year period for the Pier G Metropolitan Stevedore Track Improvement Project; several capital work orders and more. For more information, visit http://www.polb.com.
July 3 City Council Special Meeting - The Long Beach City Council hosts a special meeting at 3:30 p.m. at City Hall to discuss the budget. For more information, visit http://www.longbeach.gov/finance/budget/.
July 3 City Council Meeting - The Long Beach City Council meets at 5 p.m. at City Hall to discuss: approving a $5 million contract for renovations of the Long Beach Arena; a community transformation grant program to provide community prevention and wellness services in Long Beach; amendments to agreements for aeronautical-related businesses at the Long Beach Airport; a presentation from city management on federal legislation that would require Long Beach residents to carry flood insurance; an update on the Southeast Resource Recovery Facility (SERRF); receipt of $5 million-plus in grant funding for park development and community revitalization; and more. For more information, visit http://www.longbeach.gov.
August 8 710 Corridor Project Public Hearing - The California Department of Transportation has released the Draft EIR/EIS on the I-710 Corridor Project for a 60-day public review. The environmental review is looking at proposals that would improve Interstate 710 (I-710) in Los Angeles County between Ocean Boulevard and State Route 60 (SR-60). Major elements include widening the I-710 freeway up to 10 general-purpose lanes (five lanes in each direction). A public hearing is scheduled August 8 in Long Beach, 6-9 p.m. at Silverado Park Community Center. The Draft EIR may be viewed at: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/resources/envdocs/docs/710corridor/.
Business Meetings And Other Events:
• July 2: Beginning at 8 a.m., you can start making reservations for Port of Long Beach free harbor tours that will occur in August. Call 283-7700 or go to: http://www.polb.com/porttours to see dates and to make a reservation.
• July 4: A 4th of July Freedom Fest is presented at 5 p.m. (food trucks available) at Rosie the Riveter Park (Clark Avenue and Conant Street) to salute hometown heroes. Music by The Emperors at 6:30 p.m. Presented by Councilmember Gerrie Schipske and the Long Beach Hometown Heroes Project. 562/570-6932.
• July 4: The Long Beach Junior Concert Band performs during a “Park Preview” event unveiling what will eventually be the largest park built in Long Beach in the past 70 years. The site is 2745 Orange Ave., between Willow and Spring streets. Gates open at 6 p.m. and the music starts at 7 p.m. The 7th District Council office is coordinating the event. 562/570-7777.
• July 5: The Long Beach Planning Commission meeting scheduled for July 5 has been cancelled. The next meeting is scheduled for July 19. For more information, visit http://lbds.info.
• July 7: The Pacific Battleship Center is now selling tickets for the July 7 opening of the USS Iowa as an interactive naval museum and living memorial. Beginning July 7, the ship will be open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Berth 87 along the Port of Los Angeles Main Channel. Purchase tickets at http://www.pacificbattleship.com.
• July 10: Shred-4-Good is providing free shred days on July 10 and 24, from 8-10 a.m. at the Goodwill office, 800 W. Pacific Coast Hwy. The first box is free and it’s $5 per box thereafter. 562/843-0042.
The Business Journal's latest "Biz Quiz" is available to download online. Winners from the last quiz have also been posted on our Web site. Visit http://www.lbbusinessjournal.com/biz-quiz.html to download the quiz or to see if you're a winner!
Want Morning Coffee to be delivered directly to your inbox?
The Latest News
- UPDATED: $85 Million Increase To Middle Harbor Budget Approved
- Covered California To Provide Online Enrollment For Small Group Health Insurance
- Markets Remain On Slow Growth Trajectory As Pockets Of The Economy Gain Strength
- New Ordinance To Lay Groundwork For Adaptive Reuse Projects In Long Beach
- Port Of Long Beach’s Engineering Bureau Examined By Consulting Firm, May Be Restructured
- Banks Reposition Brick-And-Mortar Retail Strategy As Mobile, Online Usage Increases
- Labor Ordinances To Be Drafted For Airport And Convention Center
Search Our Archives
|Monday Morning Coffee - 8/12/13|
Morning Coffee - A Caffeinated News Update
Check Back Soon For New Updates