Morning Coffee - A Caffeinated News Update
July 05, 2012
July 10 City Council Special Meeting - The Long Beach City Council gathers for a property negotiations meeting at 4 p.m. at City Hall regarding a conference with City Manager Patrick West as the city’s real property negotiator for price and terms of payment of: 3800 E. Willow St. and 3799 E. Burnett St., for the City of Long Beach Department of Army and Mental Health Association; and 100 Long Beach Blvd. for Lyon Capital Ventures, LLC, OliverMcMillan, LLC, Ratkovich Properties, LLC, Civic Partners, Inc., Watt Investment Partners, LLC, and Big Saver Foods. For more information, visit http://www.longbeach.legistar.com/Calendar.
July 10 Housing Authority Meeting - The Long Beach Housing Authority meets at 4:30 p.m. at City Hall to discuss: the Housing Authority Financial and Operational Performance Report for March and April; and a recommendation to conduct a public hearing for the review of the Adopted Five-Year Housing Plan (2010-2014) and the renewal of the Annual Plan (2012-2013), adopt a resolution certifying the Annual Plan and transmit the plans to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. For more information, visit http://www.longbeach.legistar.com/Calendar.
July 10 City Council Meeting - The Long Beach City Council meets at 5 p.m. to discuss: five business license revocation appeals; the purchase of $5.5 million of unleaded and diesel fuel from Long Beach-based Merrimac Energy Group; facility sharing between the City of Long Beach as unit operator of West Wilmington oil operations and Occidental petroleum Long Beach, Inc.; a contract amendment with All American Asphalt for street improvements not to exceed an additional $3 million or aggregate $15 million. For more information, visit http://www.longbeach.legistar.com/Calendar.
July 11 LBUSD Joint Use Committee Meeting - The Long Beach Unified School District Joint Use Committee meets at 8:30 a.m. at City Hall to discuss: how California Gardens may be designed to maximize joint use potential; joint purchasing opportunities; an update on the district’s efforts to curb bullying; and an update on the joint use opportunities at Jordan High School and Houghton Park. For more information, visit http://www.longbeach.legistar.com/Calendar.
July 19 Planning Commission Meeting - The Long Beach Planning Commission meets at 5 p.m. at City Hall to discuss approving a conditional use permit for existing used car dealership Pacific Auto Sales to continue operating at 1470 Long Beach Blvd., “in compliance with performance standards codified in Long Beach Boulevard Planned Development District.” For more information, visit http://www.longbeach.legistar.com/Calendar.
August 8 710 Corridor Project Public Hearing - The California Department of Transportation has released the Draft EIR/EIS on the I-710 Corridor Project for a 60-day public review. The environmental review is looking at proposals that would improve Interstate 710 (I-710) in Los Angeles County between Ocean Boulevard and State Route 60 (SR-60). Major elements include widening the I-710 freeway up to 10 general-purpose lanes (five lanes in each direction). A public hearing is scheduled August 8 in Long Beach, 6-9 p.m. at Silverado Park Community Center. The Draft EIR may be viewed at: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/resources/envdocs/docs/710corridor/.
Business Meetings And Other Events:
• July 5: The Long Beach Planning Commission meeting scheduled for July 5 has been cancelled. The next meeting is scheduled for July 19. For more information, visit http://lbds.info.
• July 5: The Long Beach Board of Water Commissioners meeting scheduled for July 5 has been cancelled. The next meeting is scheduled for July 12. For more information, call Sandy Fox at 562/570-2302.
• July 6: The Long Beach Job Club meets from 9-11 a.m. at the Career Transition Center, 3447 Atlantic Ave. For more information, call 562/570-3700.
• July 7: The Pacific Battleship Center is now selling tickets for the July 7 opening of the USS Iowa as an interactive naval museum and living memorial. Beginning July 7, the ship will be open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Berth 87 along the Port of Los Angeles Main Channel. Purchase tickets at http://www.pacificbattleship.com.
• July 7: North Long Beach Business Alliance hosts first Community Clean Up & BBQ 10 a.m. to noon at the intersection of Atlantic Avenue and Artesia Boulevard. RSVP to 562/570-6137 or email@example.com.
• July 9: Long Beach City College Small Business Development Center hosts “Starting A Small Business” 10 a.m. to noon. $20. Pre-register by calling 562/938-5051.
• July 10: Shred-4-Good is providing free shred days on July 10 and 24, from 8-10 a.m. at the Goodwill office, 800 W. Pacific Coast Hwy. The first box is free and it’s $5 per box thereafter. 562/843-0042.
• July 11: The Success Network, a group of Southern California entrepreneurs, executives and consultants, meet at 7:30 a.m. at The Grand, 4101 E. Willow St. Parking is free. Breakfast is $20. http://www.meetup.com/Success-Network/.
• July 11: Long Beach City College hosts an information session for the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Program 9:30-11 a.m., 4900 E. Conant St., Building O-2. RSVP 562/938-5054 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• July 11: Long Beach City College hosts the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses CEO Speakers Series with Freida’s Inc. CEO and President Karen Caplan. 5:30-7:30 p.m. RSVP 562/938-5054 or email@example.com.
• July 13: Long Beach City College hosts an application workshop for the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program 9 a.m. to noon, 4900 E. Conant St. Building O-2. RSVP 562/938-5054 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• July 20: Historic Old Pine Avenue (HOPA) Business District hosts Twilight Walk on Pine Avenue from 3rd Street to 10th Street. 6-10 p.m.
• July 26: 3rd District Neighborhood Association meeting, 11:45 a.m. at Long Beach Yacht Club, 6201 E. Appian Way, $15 lunch. Guest speaker is new Fire Chief Mike DuRee. RSVP 562/570-8756.
The Business Journal's latest "Biz Quiz" is available to download online. Winners from the last quiz have also been posted on our Web site. Visit http://www.lbbusinessjournal.com/biz-quiz.html to download the quiz or to see if you're a winner!
Want Morning Coffee to be delivered directly to your inbox?
The Latest News
- UPDATED: $85 Million Increase To Middle Harbor Budget Approved
- Covered California To Provide Online Enrollment For Small Group Health Insurance
- Markets Remain On Slow Growth Trajectory As Pockets Of The Economy Gain Strength
- New Ordinance To Lay Groundwork For Adaptive Reuse Projects In Long Beach
- Port Of Long Beach’s Engineering Bureau Examined By Consulting Firm, May Be Restructured
- Banks Reposition Brick-And-Mortar Retail Strategy As Mobile, Online Usage Increases
- Labor Ordinances To Be Drafted For Airport And Convention Center
Search Our Archives
|Monday Morning Coffee - 8/12/13|
Morning Coffee - A Caffeinated News Update
Check Back Soon For New Updates