Morning Coffee - A Caffeinated News Update
August 02, 2012
This Month SB I-605, SB I-405 Freeway Connector Closure - Starting at 10 a.m., crews will close the connector between the southbound I-605 to the southbound I-405 for approximately two weeks. It is expected to reopen mid-August. For more information or alternate routes, visit http://www.octa.net.
August 2 Long Beach Planning Commission Meeting - The Long Beach Planning Commission meets at 5 p.m. at City Hall to discuss: a conditional use permit to allow the sale of alcohol at a proposed restaurant at 205 E. Anaheim St., and a conditional use permit for a financial service operation to locate within an existing one-story building at 201 W. Pacific Coast Hwy in the Community Automobile-Oriented District and Regional Highway District. For more information, visit http://lbds.info/planning.
August 2 Central Project Area Council Meeting - The new Long Beach Central Project Area Council holds its second regular monthly meeting at 6 p.m. at Mental Health America, 456 Elm Ave., at 6 p.m. to discuss: a presentation about Berth 55, with information on options available to tenants and an update on negotiations with the Port of Long Beach; and a follow-up on the title loan business proposed for Pacific Coast Highway and Pacific Avenue, after many CPAC members testify before the Long Beach Planning Commission at City Hall at 5 p.m. For more information, contact CPAC President Annie Greenfeld at 562/225-9462.
August 6 Harbor Commission Meeting - The Long Beach Board of Harbor Commissioners meets at the port administration building, 925 Harbor Plaza, at 1 p.m. to discuss: a conditional award contract for $1.4 million with Lovco Construction for on-call rental of equipment; a contract with Ingnify, Inc. for consulting, software and support services, and approve two capital work orders with the company; a $13.4 million conditional award to S.J. Amoroso Construction for the North Operations and IT Management Building at Pier E; several ordinances; signing a petition for the San Pedro Historic Waterfront Property and Business Improvement District; and more. For more information, call Shana Ortiz at 562/590-4104.
August 7 Tidelands And Harbor Committee Meeting - The Long Beach City Council’s Tidelands and Harbor Committee meets at 3:30 p.m. at City Hall to discuss: a report on special events and filming; an updated on the Port of Long Beach Capital Improvements Plan; a report on the Port of Long Beach 2011 Emissions Inventory; an update on the Port of Long Beach Administration Building; an update on the Gerald Desmond Bridge Replacement Project; and an update on the Port of Long Beach Community Mitigation Grant Program. For more information, visit http://longbeach.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx.
August 7 City Council Special Meeting - The Long Beach City Council meets at 4:30 p.m. at City Hall for a special meeting to discuss labor negotiations with Long Beach Lifeguards’ Association; Long Beach Association of Engineering Employees; Long Beach Management Association; Long Beach Association of Confidential Employees; Long Beach Police Officers’ Association; Long Beach Fire Fighters’ Association; International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers; Local Lodge 1930 District Lodge 947; Long Beach City Prosecutors’ Association and the Long Beach City Attorneys’ Association. For more information, visit http://longbeach.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx.
August 7 City Council Meeting - The Long Beach City Council meets at 5 p.m. at City Hall to: review the proposed Fiscal Year 2013 budget; conclude the hearing to consider the Downtown Property Based Improvement District renewal and direct the city clerk to count the ballots; adopt an amendment to the Master Fee and Charges Schedule; request the city attorney prepare an amendment to the Long Beach Municipal code to establish Preferential Parking District “AB” along El Jardin St. near Studebaker and Anaheim roads; executing a lease with CityPlace for office space at 295 E. 3rd St.; review results from the first year of the implementation of the Long Beach Residential Street Maintenance Policy; and more. For more information, visit http://longbeach.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx.
August 8 710 Corridor Project Public Hearing - The California Department of Transportation has released the Draft EIR/EIS on the I-710 Corridor Project for a 60-day public review. The environmental review is looking at proposals that would improve Interstate 710 (I-710) in Los Angeles County between Ocean Boulevard and State Route 60 (SR-60). Major elements include widening the I-710 freeway up to 10 general-purpose lanes (five lanes in each direction). A public hearing is scheduled August 8 in Long Beach, 6-9 p.m. at Silverado Park Community Center. The Draft EIR may be viewed at: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/resources/envdocs/docs/710corridor/.
August 22 Aggregate Terminal Study Public Hearing - The Port of Long beach and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers released a Draft EIR/EIS on a proposed construction aggregate, sand, gravel and granite facility on privately owned land in the Harbor District for public review. A public hearing is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Long Beach City Hall. Written comments may be sent to Rick Cameron, Director of Environmental Planning, 925 Harbor Plaza, Long Beach, CA, 90802, or to Cameron@polb.com. The deadline for comments is September 21. The Draft EIR may be viewed at http://www.polb.com/ceqa.
Business Meetings And Other Events:
• August 3: Long Beach City College hosts application workshops for the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program, 9 a.m. to noon, at 4900 E. Conant St.; also on August 13. Applications due August 27. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 562/938-5054.
• August 4-5: The Pike at Rainbow Harbor hosts Summer Sun & Art Fest, a free event with live music, arts, crafts, a car show and more; Saturday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. http://thepikeatlongbeach.com.
• August 7: Long Beach Chamber hosts a business networking mixer at Café Sevilla, 140 Pine Ave., 5:30-7:30 p.m., $20 for nonmembers. RSVP to email@example.com or 562/590-9234.
• August 7: Shred-4-Good, a social enterprise of Goodwill Serving the People of Los Angeles County, hosts a document shredding event from 8-10 a.m. at 800 W. Pacific Coast Hwy. First box is free; additional boxes $5 each. Call 562/843-0042 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• August 8: Shoreline Speakers Toastmasters Club #1391 meets from 7-8 a.m. at Ruby’s Diner, 6405 E. Pacific Coast Hwy. Visit http://www.shorelinespeakers.com.
• August 15: Naples Island Business Association meets at noon at Naples Rib Company, featuring guest speaker Carolyn Benton of Event Complete, the company organizing this year’s California Women’s Conference. BBQ lunch is provided; $6 for members, $10 for non-members. http://naplesislandbusiness.com.
• August 16: 3rd District Neighborhood Association meeting at 11:45 a.m. at the Long Beach Yacht Club, 6201 E. Appian Way, featuring guest speaker Long Beach Financial Management Director John Gross. Lunch is $15. RSVP to 562/570-8756.
• August 17: On Broadway Merchant Association hosts its monthly meeting from 9-10 a.m. at Paradise Piano Bar, 1800 E. Broadway. More information at http://onbroadwaylb.com.
The Business Journal's latest "Biz Quiz" is available to download online. Winners from the last quiz have also been posted on our Web site. Visit http://www.lbbusinessjournal.com/biz-quiz.html to download the quiz or to see if you're a winner!
Want Morning Coffee to be delivered directly to your inbox?
The Latest News
- UPDATED: $85 Million Increase To Middle Harbor Budget Approved
- Covered California To Provide Online Enrollment For Small Group Health Insurance
- Markets Remain On Slow Growth Trajectory As Pockets Of The Economy Gain Strength
- New Ordinance To Lay Groundwork For Adaptive Reuse Projects In Long Beach
- Port Of Long Beach’s Engineering Bureau Examined By Consulting Firm, May Be Restructured
- Banks Reposition Brick-And-Mortar Retail Strategy As Mobile, Online Usage Increases
- Labor Ordinances To Be Drafted For Airport And Convention Center
Search Our Archives
|Monday Morning Coffee - 8/12/13|
Morning Coffee - A Caffeinated News Update
Check Back Soon For New Updates