Morning Coffee - A Caffeinated News Update
August 27, 2012
August 27 Oversight Board To RDA Successor Agency - The Oversight Board of the Successor Agency to the Redevelopment Agency (RDA) of the City of Long Beach meets at 9 p.m. at City Hall for a special meeting to discuss: adopting the successor agency’s decision to approve the revised reorganization obligation payment schedule for January 1 through June 30, 2012 and July 1 through December 31, 2012; adopting the successor agency’s decision to approve a draft payment schedule for January 1 through June 30, 2013; adopting a $93,000 contract with AECOM, approved by the successor agency, for the completion of phase two of the Westside Storm Drain and Pump Station Improvement Project; and more.
August 27 Budget Oversight Committee - The Long Beach Budget Oversight Committee meets at 4 p.m. at City Hall to discuss: the city’s fiscal year 2012 budget process; the federal fiscal year 2013 budget; the state’s fiscal year 2012-2013 budget; the $18.4 million uplands oil fund infrastructure projects; presentations from public works, library services and parks, recreation and marine departments; the fiscal year 2013 proposed budget and community budget book; and any remaining 2012 budget items. For more information, visit http://longbeach.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx.
August 28 City Council Budget Hearing - The Long Beach City Council meets at 3:30 p.m. at City Hall for a budget hearing to discuss: the proposed fiscal year 2013 harbor department budget; the proposed use of one-time funds for fiscal year 2013; the proposed fiscal year 2013 parks, recreation and marine budget and potential alternatives; and the proposed fiscal year 2013 department of financial management budget. For more information, visit http://longbeach.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx.
August 30 Harbor Cruise And Community Forum On Berth 55 - The Long Beach Central Project Area Council, the Westside Project Area Council (WPAC), West Long Beach 90810 and the West Long Beach Association host a community forum on the Port of Long Beach-sanctioned closure of Berth 55 Restaurant, Queens Wharf Restaurant and Long Beach Sportfishing (collectively the SRM Corporation) at 6 p.m. A harbor cruise to show forum participants the logistics of the fire station relocation is being provided by Long Beach Sportfishing. The cruise is from 4:30-5:30 p.m. For more information, contact WPAC Coordinator Lee Adams at 562/754-0603 or email@example.com.
September 5-6 Third Annual PortTechEXPO - PortTechLA, a coalition that includes the Port of Los Angeles, the City of Los Angeles and the San Pedro and Wilmington chambers of commerce, hosts its 3rd annual PortTechExpo. This two-day event includes a maritime conference and competition of the most innovative environmental, transportation, energy and security technologies. The event “attracts business and community leaders, venture capitalists, maritime industry experts and technology entrepreneurs from around the region,” with an average of 300 attendees and 50 exhibitors annually. Registration for the event is open. For more information, visit http://www.porttechla.org.
Business Meetings And Other Events:
• August 27: Leadership Long Beach Institute hosts a welcoming ceremony for the Class of 2013 from 5:30-7 p.m. at Rancho Los Alamitos, 6400 Bixby Hill Rd., with alumni, local government officials and community members. Reception is free and open to the public. Call Oscar Cosby at 562/997-9194 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• August 27: 8th District Councilmember Al Austin hosts a community budget meeting from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at The Expo Art Center, 4321 Atlantic Ave. Staff will provide an update on the 2012-2013 budget. Call 562/570-6685 or e-mail email@example.com.
• August 28: East Anaheim Street Business Alliance meets at noon at the Long Beach Playhouse, 5201 E. Anaheim St., with special guest Long Beach Fire Chief Mike DuRee. Call 562/494-3800 or http://easba.com.
• August 28: Long Beach Chamber hosts a business networking mixer from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the historic Palace Hotel, 2640 E. Anaheim St., with a free taco bar and beverages. RSVP to Karine at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 213/975-1408 by August 24.
• August 28: 6th District Councilmember Dee Andrews hosts a city budget summit, 6 p.m., at Ernest S. McBride, Sr., Park, 1550 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. Call 562/57-6816 or e-mail email@example.com.
• August 29: North Long Beach Business Alliance meets from 8:30-10:30 a.m. at Houghton Park, 6301 Myrtle Ave. Call 562/570-3315 or visit http://insidedistrict9.com.
• August 30: Councilmember Suja Lowenthal hosts a 2nd District budget forum from 7-8:30 p.m. at Bixby Park Community Center, 130 Cherry Ave. Guest speakers are Long Beach City Manager Pat West, Chief of Police Jim McDonnell, Financial Management Director John Gross and Parks Director George Chapjian or a department representative. 562/570-6684.
• September 5: The Long Beach Council of Business Associations meets at 8 a.m. at Simmzy’s, 5271 E. 2nd St. in Belmont Shore. For more information, call Blair Cohn at 562/595-0081.
• September 17: Arts Council for Long Beach is seeking candidates for its board of directors. Interested individuals who live and or work in Long Beach are invited to learn more about applying via the Arts Council’s website, http://www.artslb.org. Applications must be received by September 17.
• September 20: East Spring Street Business Alliance holds its Third Thursday meeting at 8 a.m. at Grounds Bakery Café, 6277 E. Spring St. Call 562/596-4466 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• September 22: 4th Street Retro Row’s Summer Sidewalk Sale is also a breast cancer awareness benefit, featuring live music, food trucks and bargains. Visit http://www.4thstreetlongbeach.com or http://artfulthinking.org/Special_Events.html.
• September 29: East Spring Street Business Association hosts its Good Neighbor Festival from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Good Neighbor Park, 2800 Studebaker Rd. Call 562/596-4466 or e-mail email@example.com for booth reservation information.
The Business Journal's latest "Biz Quiz" is available to download online. Winners from the last quiz have also been posted on our Web site. Visit http://www.lbbusinessjournal.com/biz-quiz.html to download the quiz or to see if you're a winner!
Want Morning Coffee to be delivered directly to your inbox?
The Latest News
- UPDATED: $85 Million Increase To Middle Harbor Budget Approved
- Covered California To Provide Online Enrollment For Small Group Health Insurance
- Markets Remain On Slow Growth Trajectory As Pockets Of The Economy Gain Strength
- New Ordinance To Lay Groundwork For Adaptive Reuse Projects In Long Beach
- Port Of Long Beach’s Engineering Bureau Examined By Consulting Firm, May Be Restructured
- Banks Reposition Brick-And-Mortar Retail Strategy As Mobile, Online Usage Increases
- Labor Ordinances To Be Drafted For Airport And Convention Center
Search Our Archives
|Monday Morning Coffee - 8/12/13|
Morning Coffee - A Caffeinated News Update
Check Back Soon For New Updates